Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Marshal Islands donations

Every year for Christmas with Jake's side of the family, we find a way to donate to someone in need instead of buying gifts for each other. This year was our turn. I've been reading Brey's missionary emails and the people in the Marshal Islands have so little. We rounded up some things Brey and the mission president thought would be beneficial to ship. Jake's family contributed clothes and  money. I bought extra things so send and luckily the Marshal Islands are a US territory so we could ship everything in flat rate boxes. I vacuum sealed all the clothes to fit a lot. I've included some of our correspondence below.



A clip from Brey's email: "I could just see how poor they were but they still dressed their best for us and they looked amazing. They prepared such an amazing meal for us, it was some kind of weird crab thing haha and rice and just a big meal. They were so poor and yet they prepared one of the best meals I have ever had. I just sat there after I got done eating and saw the joy that this family had and I felt awful. I had been so selfish and thinking poor me. I just felt so humbled sitting there in the home of this amazing family and I felt the spirit so strong. That night I learned that I need to be way less selfish and to start thinking of others like this wonderful family. This family ended up coming to church yesterday and my companion and I were so happy. That night I just couldn't stop thinking about them. I love that family so much. The dad even let us cut his hair and he shaved, he looks like a completely different person. I am just so humbled to see how much they love the gospel and how happy they are."

My reply: "Brey, I was able to talk to your mission president’s wife sister Larkin. I’m shipping lots of items to her this week. It takes about 3-4 weeks to arrive I’m told. She’s going to get all 4 boxes to you to distribute to anyone you think needs it! I hope this will be so fun to give to those that are less fortunate. Jake’s entire family helped me with this. We decided to donate to the people there in Kiribati instead of buying Christmas gifts for each other. I’m including a list of everything in these boxes so you can know ahead of time and be thinking of who you want to give to. Mostly clothing but we hope it’s all helpful. 

Lots of children’s clothes, toy trucks and small animal and people figure toys, necklaces, bracelets, newborn receiving blanket and caps, men’s white shirts, women’s dresses, bags, hats, sunglasses, church coloring books, crayons, suckers, 3 pocket knives, hair ties.

I’m also sending a couple things for you. Dried chicken, ground beef and sausage crumbles. I use these in my regular cooking and thought it would be nice for you to have some “regular” food. It’s easy to use and lasts a long time! Just soak the meat in some water for 5 minutes and drain off the excess water. Mix it in pasta or soup or whatever you’re making. It’s real meat and awesome! My little family loves reading your emails every week and think your mission is just so amazing and we’re so proud of you! Keep it up Elder Guiles!

Tayli Nelson"

No comments: