Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Kynli Shae Nelson

I thought I knew what to expect this time around. But things happened a little differently. Here's Kynli's story. 
 
 
We had been getting ready for Kynli to come because I had my 39 week appointment the next day. But the night before, on May 13, I started going into labor. We didn't do anything out of the ordinary. We were just at home playing with the puppies, when I noticed my regular Braxton Hicks contractions started coming more regular. So I started timing them at 4 minutes apart. Then they started becoming increasingly uncomfortable. I tried calling my mom to warn her she might need to be ready to come. We had planned on her staying with Jayli while we were in the hospital. Finally we realized this was the real deal. Contractions were coming every 3 minutes and I was getting nervous. I had tried calling everyone at my parent's house and no one would answer. Finally Lynsi called me back and I told her the baby was coming to send mom! Jake and I finished packing my hospital bag and tried to get the house ready for my mom. We decided to put Jayli to bed before we left. Robin and Ted came over to sit with Jayli until my mom arrived. I was in tears by the time we left from the pain but mostly I was nervous about the delivery. It was happening so fast. I called the hospital on the way to let them know we were headed in and to have the anesthesiologist ready.
When we got there they had me change right away and I was already at a 4. The staff was running around trying to get everything ready. The pain was so bad that I could hardly stand it. The anesthesiologist had 3 other epidurals to do before mine! I was so scared that I wouldn't get the epidural in time. My nurse told me if my water broke I couldn't get my epidural. The pain was horrible. I was holding the back of Jake's neck and trying to breath evenly but it was so awful. I was dilated to a 6 and the nurse called the anesthesiologist and told him to "put his running shoes on, this baby is coming!" I told the nurse the last time I got to a 6 the baby was only minutes away. It was only 10 to midnight at this point. Finally the anesthesiologist came in and had me sit up. I leaned forward and felt another contraction starting. I yelled, "wait, wait for this contraction to pass, I can't hold still." He and the nurse both said, "you don't have time to wait!" So I tried my best not to move and he started the epidural. Right after he was done I sat back in bed and told the nurse, "I feel a lot of pressure... " just then we heard a loud pop and my water broke! Amniotic fluid everywhere! The nurse took one look and called for respiratory therapy to come in, because there was meconium in the water. I knew right away this was bad. The baby had passed her first stool already. The nurse was calling respiratory in case she aspirated some of the meconium.
Dr. Horsley (not my regular OB) came in right after that and started getting ready to deliver Kynli. I started to cry and told him I wasn't ready to push yet. That I could still feel everything! He told me I had to start pushing it was time. The epidural hadn't kicked in yet but I started to push. About 5 minutes later Kynli was here and she was so perfect! "That's a big baby," he said. He held her right in front of me to see and they let Jake cut the umbilical cord. They passed her to RT and they checked her out to see if she was ok. They weighed her and cleaned her off and then handed her to me. She was 7 pounds 15 ounces. 20 inches long. Exactly a pound lighter than J. But the same length and born in the same minute as J. 12:16am May 14, 2014
Kynli nursed like a pro right away. I felt like she ate the whole time we were there! In fact my milk came in the night before we left the hospital. She dropped down to 7.7 then back up to 7.9 the day we left. They nurses kept saying how mellow she was. So content and happy. Just was I need after my busy Jayli Ann. :)



 
I was so excited to see J and have her meet Kynli. She came with my mom the next morning. Jayli kept giving her a "check up" with the stethoscope they left on Kynli's bassinet. She saw me nursing Kynli and said, "she drink a boob mom?" haha She was so sweet and soft to Kynli. J came in to visit each day and loved to explore. She liked to help push the bassinet when we'd go on a walk in the hall. At one point all four of us took a nap in my hospital room together. Finally we got to come home on Friday the 16th. Jayli was so excited to get Kynli in our car. When they were both buckled in she looked over at Kynli and said, "Kynli you gonna come to our house ok?" I love these sweet little girls. They are already so close.
Jake was so amazing over the few days we were in the hospital. He helped so much with me and Kynli at the hospital and at home with J and the puppies. He truly loves us with all her heart. He's so sweet to us. There's nothing more special than watching the love of your life love your children.














No comments: