Thursday, June 9, 2016

Island Park

 Our "big" camping trip for the summer was Island Park. I told Jake I'd love to try somewhere new but I didn't want to drive to far to get there since I was so pregnant and uncomfortable. We had a recommendation from some friends for the campground on the Buffalo river. It was only a four hour drive, so I thought that was manageable. Jake's parents, Mindy and the Simpers wanted to come too. Leon found a toy hauler to rent and they all stayed in that together. Jake's close friend Justin Kendal and his parents came too. They all lived in the same neighborhood while Jake was growing up. The drive was beautiful and the girls did pretty good. Once we pulled into the campground we filled the 5th wheel with water and found our spot. Close to the river, lots of shade. I entertained the girls while Jake set up. The girls loved the paved road that went around the campground loops. We brought their bikes and the power 4wheeler. Jake's dad took the girls for a ride in his razor. Later found out he couldn't ride it in the campground. And they made him park it by the camp host. That first day we just got set up and explored a little. After dinner we got the girls ready for bed. Jayli says her favorite part about camping is sleeping. haha she doesn't love to sleep, she loves her sleeping bag on the pull out couch.
The next morning we got ready for Yellowstone. It was only another half hour to the park. We got in free with Jake's parents' senior park pass. We stopped at a few hot pools and drove through the fire hole canyon. Everything was gorgeous of course. We didn't see a lot of wildlife. Buffalo, a couple elk. We made it to Old Faithful but wasn't as cool as I remember when I was little. I really wanted to swim or float the river. Pregnancy kicks my butt. :) So Jake found a place. No one else got in but our little family. Jake even inflated the paddle board for me. A little harder pregnant, but the girls each took a ride on the front with me. We found a pizza place for dinner, then headed back to the camper.
The next day we went to a pond to fish because wouldn't you know it, it was free fishing day! The girls, especially Jayli loves to cast the line over and over. After we didn't catch any fish.... we drove over to Fish Springs. It was beautiful clear water and we saw lots of big trout swimming under the bridge. We fed the fish worms. Then we drove over to see the      . Kynli was asleep so Jake took Jayli down to look at the huge waterfall. Then he came back and Jayli took me down there to see. It was really so incredible! I couldn't believe how big that canyon was! I wish a picture could really show the beauty of it. Last we went to this bear museum. I was more like a small wildlife zoo. Lots of big grizzlys and wolves. Jake's dad paid for everyone to get it. That night back at the camp site we let the kids have a fire with smores and play with glow sticks and sparklers. Jayli's loved playing with Colton. Justin's boy also the same age. They had tons of fun together.
The next day was Sunday and we found a local sacrament meeting to attend. Then we cleaned up camp and headed out. We stopped in Pocatello at this small  beach/lake on the way home to break up the drive. We got some sunshine and played in the sand.





























No comments: