Sunday, September 30, 2018

Alaska Moose Hunt

My Dad, Dennis, Juck and Miles and I flew into Bethel Alaska to go on our once in a lifetime moose hunts. We flew out into two separate spike camps on a plane. Mine and my dad's first time ever on a float plane. The first day we saw a couple moose. Dennis shot his moose the first day. Miles shot his the second day. Juck shot his on the fourth day. We weren't seeing much moose sign. But I found a really big moose shed and I kept it. We decided to join up with the Kendall's at their camp. The day after we went there we saw a bunch of moose. We started calling and we called my Dad's moose right to us. It came straight at us and went into a little ravine. It popped out at about 200 yards. We did a cow call to make it stop and grandpa shot it! We field dressed it and were really glad we had lots of help. We carried it to the raft and floated it across the lake back to our spike camp.
It rained a lot through-out our 10 day trip. We kept looking for my moose. We ventured a ways away from camp. We called in a really small bull that wanted to fight us. A little later we were busy looking at some sheds and saw a moose stand up in the willows and take off. So I took my pack off and used it as a rest. I hurried and put a shell in and go one shot off before he made it back in the brush. We thought I hit it but we weren't sure. We found it right where it looked like it had gone out of sight. I got a lucky shot right in the heart. Miles, Juck and I took one load to the lake and hiked back to camp. The next morning we brought our raft over and loaded the whole moose on the raft and floated it across that lake. Then packed it to another lake and floated across that lake. Then carried it to the lake we were camped on and floated it across again and carried it back to camp. We had fresh moose tenderloin, onions and mushrooms for dinner. It was delicious.
The next day the pilot came and picked us up to go back to Bethal. We got back and got our moose meat and gear and got on the plane the next day to come home and see our families. We were so happy to have 5 moose.

























No comments: