Monday, August 29, 2016

Charli's birth story

The day we met Charli was an incredible day. The anticipation to meet your child is so overwhelming. Nerves, worry, excitement, stress. Charli is perfect and I loved the day she came into our lives. Here is her story.
I had an appointment with Dr. McCulloch scheduled that morning. Knowing ahead of time that I wanted to have my membranes stripped and a likely labor we planned for an early start. We had orignally planned to have my membranes stripped at my appointment on the 24 but both Jayli and Kynli started colds the day before. So at 39weeks 1 day I felt good to go. Plus, if we waited until September then we wouldn't have the option to put Charli in school when she turned 5. There are so many variables but August 29 worked. The day went very similar to the day we had Jayli. Expected and smooth labor. After my appointment I went home with the girls and just sat and waited. The braxon hicks contractions became more frequent and stronger. Within 2 hours of my appointment I knew it was time. Jake came home to get me and we called Jake's parents to head our way to help with the girls. We let the hospital know we were on our way. Kynli came a little too fast. So we didn't waste any time getting to the hospital. They checked my cervix and I was dilated to a 4+. Since I was only a 3 a few hours before they knew I was in labor. We answered all the medical questions and I got my epidural. I didn't have enough time to feel the epidural when I had Kynli so we didn't wait around. Dr McCulloch came up and broke my water. I remember her sitting on the bed by my feet and then jumping and saying "Wow that's a lot of fluid! I don't think I've ever seen so much fluid."
Then like with Jayli, Jake and I just kicked back and waited. Comfortably and calmly. We watched the news and chatted. It was really a relaxing couple hours. At 6pm they said I was at a 10 and it was time to get ready to deliver. After the first push Jake could see her head. "does she have hair?" I shouted. Everyone nodded and Dr McCulloch said it looked blonde. I was so excited to see her I only pushed one more time and Charli was here! They handed her to me and started to clean her off. She was so chubby and cute! Jake cut the umbilical cord. They rubbed her back pretty aggressively with towels to get her to cry. All the nurses were laughing about how fat she was. She had rolls everywhere. Then she peed on me! haha She weighed 8 pounds 8 ounces. Before we went up to our room the nurse noticed Charli was a little warm. She took her temperature and said she's hotter than normal but not enough that I'm worried. Once we unwrapped her she cooled off right away. She did that one more time before we left. So we knew that Charli has a tendency to over heat quickly and to keep and eye on that in the future.
We snuggled her and took pictures. We watched her intently and raved about every move she made. As her hair dried a little we noticed it was more strawberry blonde! That made me SO happy! I wanted a baby with Jake's red hair so much! I LOVED it! She nursed great, just like the other two girls. No problems latching or sucking. We called the girls to tell them baby Charli was here and she wanted to meet her big sisters. Jayli and Kynli started cheering and laughing! We had the phone on speaker and right when they cheered, Charli made a loud Yay sound! haha Jake and I both laughed out loud. It was the cutest thing ever. Jake's parents and Mindy brought Jayli and Kynli to our room. We explained to the girls that my big belly was gone because the baby came out. And here she is. We knew we would name her Charli and we all called her Charli at home several months before she was born. The girls each got to hold her... with help and give her loves. They opened a gift Charli brought for each of them. (purses) They came to see her the next morning too. I didn't want the girls to leave but Becky talked me into letting them go to Highland. Which turned out to be so good because it took the girls awhile to get over their colds. They ended up staying in Highland until Saturday. It was a nice break for Jake and I at home with Charli. And the girls loved every second with their cousins.
We had more visitors those two days at the hospital. My parents and Robin. Jake got to sleep in the room with me both nights which was so much nicer than being alone. We soaked up every bit of her cuteness and enjoyed our special time together.












The girls went to Highland while we were in the hospital and for a few more days when we got home. They love playing with their cousins. So many people down there to spoil them. Aunts, grandparents, cousins. Swimming, pizza, it's always a party.






No comments: